You’ve probably heard the phrase “tapping into your inner child” before, but what exactly does that mean and why is it important? We’re here to help answer those questions about your inner child and how to make them feel happy, loved, and supported!
Our inner child is curious, enthusiastic, and energetic - and the best part is, we can channel them to bring some of that into our current lives! It is known to have great strength, as it has even helped us survive through life’s more challenging experiences. Having a happy and healthy inner child will boost your mood, free you from past trauma, and increase your happiness.
Why is it Important to Tap Into Your Inner Child?
Tapping into our inner child is important and beneficial for us to live the best versions of our lives. Below, we will discuss some of the reasons tapping into our inner child is so important.
- Healing childhood wounds: For those of us with a traumatized inner child, we can struggle with anxiety, depression, low self-esteem, and other undesirable feelings. Tapping into our inner child and healing it with professional help allows us to heal those wounds to promote a happier and healthier life.
- Increased happiness: Remember how good it felt to be a child with no responsibilities and a day full of fun ahead of you? Tapping into our inner child can help us bring out those enthusiastic feelings and enhance our mood.
- Boosts creativity: Our inner child is incredibly creative, but unfortunately, we can lose that spark over time. It’s easy for us adults to get caught up in perfectionism or being afraid of what others will think of our creations. Tapping into our inner child will boost our creativity and our confidence surrounding it.
How to Tap Into Your Inner Child
The concept of tapping into your inner child may feel confusing or overwhelming. Luckily, there are many great tips to help aid you in this process. Everyone’s inner child is unique and the ultimate goal is to connect with your specific inner child (or children).
Psychology Today shares this list of ways to tap into your inner child:
- Engage in hobbies you enjoyed as a child
- Keep an open mind
- Talk with your inner child
- Do things that bring you happiness
- Keep your life simple
Our inner child is a very important part of who we are today. Tapping into those versions of ourselves will make us feel more connected to ourselves and promote happiness. It’s especially important to connect with your inner child when it is wounded to allow proper healing. A happy and healthy inner child will keep us feeling enthusiastic, optimistic, and happy to be alive.